Coliving Spaces in Shenzhen
Shenzhen is an exceptional city in so many ways and coliving and coworking are a great way to explore this city of firsts. Until the 1970s this metropolis was just a fishing village! China declared it its first special economic zone that would make it the country’s richest city just a few years later.
Today, Shenzhen’s economic output has overtaken that of Hong Kong and it ranks third after Beijing and Shanghai. Sometimes dubbed China’s “Silicon Valley”, the city provides a fertile ground for the many start-ups that sprout here every year.
Away from the stunning skyline, remote workers can relax by the sea by one of China’s most beautiful coastlines or get out of the city into the mountains.
Here are some fun facts about Shenzhen:
- Shenzhen was probably the fastest growing city on Earth from just 30,000 inhabitants in 1980 to the metropolis of 20 million that it is today.
- There is a haunted building right in the city center. The locals paint it red because red is believed to trap the ghosts.
- Shenzhen is home to some of China’s biggest high-tech companies such as Huawei and Tencent, the makers of the popular WeChat app.
- At 550 m its Ping An IFC Tower is the world's fourth-largest building, and it is home to the second-highest luxury hotel.
- In 2009, the trendy city was UNESCO City of Design and it’s also a UNESCO Creative City.
- Shenzhen ranked 2nd in the Lonely Planet’s guide “Top 10 cities to visit in 2019”.
- About 65 million visitors come to see the vibrant city’s many attractions every year.
- Shenzhen is also famous for its many theme parks, including the giant Dream Aquarium, a miniature world park and the Evergreen Resort with its tropical park and thousands of butterflies.
Shenzhen is perfect for digital nomads who want to experience coliving in one of China's most impressive megacities.