Coliving is a modern form of shared housing for like-minded people to live, work and play together. Fully furnished, specially-designed living spaces create an inspiring environment for people to interact and share experiences.
The biggest value of joining a coliving space is access to the community.
Looking for a month to month lease?
Coliving spaces don’t force you into a yearly contract, they offer flexible short term rentals with leases starting from as short as even a week.
Coliving.com is the #1 discovery and booking platform for Coliving homes around the world.
Dongguan is China's fourth-biggest exporting city behind Shenzhen, Shanghai and Suzhou, and there are plenty of opportunities and, of course, coworking and coliving spaces available here.
It’s located within quick and easy reach of Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong, but with just 8 million inhabitants the city is much smaller and more manageable for remote workers than its nearby metropolises.
One of Dongguan’s biggest exports is computer parts and it’s where Dell and IBM come to shop. One of the world’s largest IT fairs is also held here in October every year, the perfect time for digital nomads to network in Dongguan.
October is also one of the best months for sightseeing here when they typhoons have passed and the weather is clement and perfect for exploring the historic city center or cycling around the gorgeous SongShan Lake park.
Here are some fun facts about Dongguan:
- Of its 8 million inhabitants, only about 2.5 million are permanent residents, the rest are migrant workers.
- Over 14,000 foreign companies are based in Dongguan, including Philips, Samsung, GE and Nestlé earning it the nickname “world factory”.
- Dongguan also has another nickname: “Amsterdam of the East” because of its large red-light district.
- Dongguan is famous for its Dragon Boat Festival and boat race here for about 15 days.
- Dongguan is a melting pot for different Chinese cultures. Both Cantonese and Mandarin are widely spoken here today but Hakka culture is very important in Dongguan also.
- The First Opium War started in Dongguan.
- 5,000 years ago people already lived in Dongguan.
- Today, Dongguan is known as the “National Basketball City” but from the 1950s to the 1980s the city was famous for another sport: weightlifting. In fact, during that time the city’s champions broke world records over 20 times!
- The city has another famous export: lychee! In mid-summer visitors can head to the hills around the city to pick the local delicacy.
There is far more to this city than its manufacturing and industry and with its international outlook, it's a very welcoming place for nomads looking for coliving options.