This country may not often be your first choice whenever you’re considering a coliving destination but Lithuania is definitely an underrated European gem! Like most of its neighboring countries, Lithuania houses gently rolling hills and expansive nature along with spots rich with culture and history.
The country can be found in the northern part of Europe and is a part of the Baltic states. Its capital, Vilnius, has a number of coliving spaces and even features a booming IT environment. The country’s venture capital industry is continuously growing and startups often even have government support. This makes it an attractive place for digital nomads to settle in for a while.
Other than the startup potentials of the country, Lithuania is also the place to be if you’re in love with history. From churches to museums to old cities, there’s a lot to unearth about the country’s culture. National parks are also quite common and hot air ballooning is also a must-do while in the country.
Some facts about Lithuania:
- Vilnius (the country’s capital) is Lithuania’s largest city
- Baroque architecture is common in the country
- 33% of Lithuania’s territory is covered by forests
- There are 6,000 lakes in Lithuania, which takes up about 1.5% of the country’s territory
- The legendary Hill of Crosses is one of Lithuania’s wondrous sites as it houses about 200,000 crosses left by Catholic pilgrims
- The population is estimated at 2.8 million people
- Lithuania has a high-income and developed economy
- Lithuanian is one of the oldest languages to date
- A river is Vilnia is dyed emerald green once a year for St. Patrick’s Day
- The country houses the oldest tree in Europe (It even survived The Crusades!)
- Lithuania has its own scent called “the scent of Lithuania”
- There are two independence days in Lithuania and both are celebrated in the first quarter of the year
If culture is one of your passions, Lithuania is definitely the next place to choose as a coliving choice! Prepare to learn some new piece of history every single day, all while letting your freelance career bloom in one of the country’s emerging coliving destinations.