Its proximity to North America, low cost of living and high quality of life, it’s no surprise that many remote workers are Belize’s using the many coworking and coliving spaces to establish themselves here.
It takes only 2.5 – 3 hours to fly from Belize to Dallas or Miami, so digital nomads can choose to live by the beach here and still see their North American clients easily.
Here are some fun facts about Belize:
- Only about 355,000 people live here, making Belize the least populated country in Latin America. It is also only 8,867 square miles.
- The capital of Belize is Belmopan and the main language is still English but Spanish, Mandarin and local languages are also spoken here.
- Today, Belize’s economy is mainly based on agriculture and merchandise as well as some tourism.
- In 1981 Belize became independent from the UK.
- The capital of the Mayan empire was here and today there are still over 900 Mayan ruins to explore.
- Belize has the world’s only jaguar reserve as well as many bird sanctuaries.
- Over 60% of the country is covered in forests and with the Mayan Mountains as well as the coastal swamplands, there is a lot of unique flora and fauna for visitors to explore in this small country.
- The country has its own stunning Barrier Reef with over 100 different species of coral and is home to the famous Blue Hole making it a paradise for divers.
- Belize has over 450 beautiful islands.
- In 2010, Belize became the first country to ban bottom-trawling to protect the local fish stocks. Over 500 species of fish live in the ocean around Belize.
With its Caribbean pace of life, high quality of life, and beautiful nature, Belize is fast becoming a remote workers’ favorite destination for coworking and coliving.