The Seychelles is a chain of islands, or an archipelago, in the Indian Ocean. It has a population of approximately 95,000, which is comprised of several ethnic groups. The majority of the population of Seychelles are Creole of African descent; Indians and Chinese are in the minority. Think about living on an island surrounded by sapphire blue seas and imagine coliving there. The Seychelles are rather like paradise to most people. That’s why it’s a popular wedding destination.
While you are there, you can visit the UNESCO World Heritage site of Vallée de Mai on the island of Praslin and experience the primeval forest of coco de mer palms, which are found in abundance. If you are extremely lucky, you may catch a glimpse of the rare black parrot. If you aren’t lucky enough to see one, you can console yourself with sightings of Seychellois bulbuls.
While on Praslin, go to Anse Volbert, an ideal beach for children. It’s a very popular beach, but as it is one-and-a-half miles long, it’s unlikely to be crowded. You can swim, snorkel, sunbathe or just laze on the beach. There are bars and restaurants nearby, so you won’t go hungry or thirsty.
When, or if you get tired of being on the beach, you could visit the Le Jardin du Roi Spice Garden. It’s full of spice plants and smells wonderful. You’ll need a car to get there. If you go there, you can get up close to the giant tortoises that live in the gardens. You may even find baby tortoises.
Fun facts about the Seychelles:
• Some very rare birds can be seen in the Seychelles, including the bare-legged Scops Owl, also known as the syer.
• The sea coconut (coco de mer) produces the heaviest coconuts. They can weigh up to 15 kgs.
• Victoria, the capital of the Seychelles, is the smallest capital city in the world.
• The islands were frequented by pirates in the past, and some say that treasure is hidden there that belonged to Olivier Levasseur. Apparently, it has yet to be discovered.
• More treasure is said to be on the island of Moyenne, but no one goes near the place because it is reputed to be haunted.