Situated in the western province of Alberta, Calgary is just 80 kilometers away from the Canadian Rockies, which makes it a popular coworking and coliving destination for remote workers who love nature, snow and mountains.
Calgary is host to many head offices, including the largest corporations in industries ranging from logistics to health, technology and even aerospace, thus offering a wealth of local opportunities to short-term and long-term visitors.
It was ranked the most livable city in North America – not once but twice – by The Economist Intelligence Unit.
Here are some fun facts about Calgary:
- Calgary is also sometimes called Cowtown, even though it has long become a lively city with over 1.3 million residents.
- The Calgary Stampede is known as the “The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth”. It lasts 10 days and visitors can go to see rodeo, concerts, exhibits and much more.
- Calgary is the sunniest big city in Canada.
- The city is very international: Over a quarter of people who live here were born abroad and 120 languages are spoken across the city.
- Calgary has been inhabited for at least 11,000 years according to archaeologists.
- Thanks to the winds sometimes the temperature can go up or down by as much as 15 degrees in a matter of a few hours.
- Birders can find over 260 species of birds in the Inglewood Sanctuary and there are so many opportunities to get out into nature as well.
- Trout fishing at Bow River is also popular.
- Mouse, black bears and even cougars can be found in the countryside around Calgary!
- Inception and Doctor Zhivago are just two of many famous movies shot in Calgary.
Calgary is ideal for those remote workers who are looking for coliving and coworking experiences in one of the safest, wealthiest and most welcoming cities in Canada.